Indoor Air Quality
Poor indoor air can have a detrimental impact on people's well-being, from a general sense of feeling tired or "under the weather" to contributing to allergies and asthma.
A home's air is affected by many things:
- Off-gassing from building materials, finishes and furniture
- Excessive moisture from such things as cooking, bathing and laundering can lead to mold growth
- Improper ventilation
- Incomplete combustion in heating systems
New homes are built to give you an enjoyable home with clean fresh air, a comfortable moisture level, and no molds or lingering odours:
- Open and spacious layouts promote good air movement throughout the home.
- Good indoor air quality begins with solid construction that prevents air leakage and moisture penetration.
- Energy-efficient windows help to prevent condensation eliminating dampness and cold spots which increases comfort, and prevents mold growth.
- Exterior walls should be well insulated with air barriers, vapour retarders and careful caulking.
- Exhaust fans are used to get rid of stale or excess moist air generated in the course of everyday living. Many new homes come with a heat recovery ventilator (HRV), which is a whole-house system that continuously brings in fresh air from the outside to all living areas of your home and exhausts the stale air. The incoming air is filtered and is pre-heated by the outgoing air to save energy.
Heating and cooling systems
- Energy-efficient heating and cooling systems operate cleanly and safely, drawing combustion air directly from the outside and venting exhaust gasses separately to avoid any risk of noxious fumes inside the home.
- Builders can reduce the amount of pollutants or contaminants during construction by including non-solvent-based glues and grouts, water-based paints, formaldehyde-free cabinetry and pre-finished hardwood flooring.
- Many products are chosen for their long-term effect for example, ceramic and other hard-surface flooring doesn't trap dust and mites. Cabinets, countertops and sinks are easy to clean with mild, non-toxic cleaning agents.