Difference Between a Custom and Production Builder
Here’s a quick run-down on what this terminology means.
Custom home builders:
- Build on land you own. Some custom builders also build on land they own.
- Build houses that are one-of-a-kind. A custom home is a site-specific home built from a unique set of plans for a specific client. Some custom builders may offer design/build services.
- Build single-family homes.
- Are generally small-volume builders.
- Tend to build high-end homes.
Production home builders:
- Build on land they own.
- Tend to use stock plans, but usually offer a variety of plan choices and options.
- Build all types of housing - single-family, condos, town houses, and rental properties.
- Are large-volume builders.
- Generally build for all price points - entry level, move up, luxury, etc.
It is important to note that many builders can fall into both categories.